Thursday, May 24, 2007

Installing FreeBSD (part 1)

Here is what I did ...

Get the netinst CD.
Start the install with it, went until the post-install stuff. Then I clicked on install Linux compatibility but it looks like some mirrors does not have those package, so my installer stalled...
I didn't know that so I downloaded and burnt the two CDs instead ...

For disk layout, I installed on a dummy machine, so hitting A (default), then Q (quit) at each partition menu worked for me :)

Initially I wanted to setup a RAID-1 (I have two equivalent 40Gigs disks), following this (http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=1), but the OS didn't want the geom partition (the equivalent of the md devices on Linux) as a /root partition at boot.

I had my first disk on the primary master and my second disk on the primary slave, that might explain it ...

So I did some scary thing in rescue mode ; booting from the primary master device, then mounting all the other partitions, remounting in read write the / partition (mount -o rw /dev/a0... /), and replace the geom entries in /etc/fstab with primary master device ones ...

Then I was able to boot correctly. I wanted to be able to su from my regular user account, so I added myself to the wheel account (# pw user mod bsergean -G wheel)

Now I am installing Xorg from the port system:
# pkg_add -r xorg
It's quite slow to download all those bits, so I'll keep the rest for later ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home